Thursday, January 23, 2014

Two Years

Yesterday, we took the boys to a local waterfall for a day of swimming, snacking, and summer-time fun.  The boys enjoyed the sand and standing under the pounding waterfall reveling in the power of the water rushing over them, but they especially enjoyed climbing up the sheer, slippery rock wall next to the waterfall and jumping into the water below.  As I stood there watching them, I felt the urge to take the plunge as well.  After some coaxing and encouragement from them, I decided to go for it and struggled to climb up the steep, slick rock wall.  After slipping a few times, I made it to the top, looked down at the water below, and froze.  Fear gripped me as I stared at the water below and the unknown overwhelmed me….what if I jump wrong and hit a rock, what if it’s too deep and I can’t figure out a way back up (just for the record, I don’t know how to swim, so this was a valid fear J), but as the what if’s inundated my brain, I knew the only choice I had was to jump.  It was physically impossible to climb back down and so the only way was to take the plunge.  After several minutes of getting up my courage (okay, so in reality, it was probably more like a good half hour that I stood there shaking in fear J), a lot of cheers of support and countdowns from the boys, and a quick prayer, I stepped away from the wall and dove into the water below.  And it was AMAZING and I resurfaced and immediately went back to the wall to make the jump again and again and again J

As I was thinking back on the thrills of yesterday, I couldn’t help but think about the parallels between yesterday’s adventure and the journey that began two years ago today.  On January 23, 2012, I left my home, my family, my friends, everything I knew and loved to head for Brasil for the very first time.  Just like yesterday’s climb up the rock wall, preparing to leave for Nepo wasn’t without its struggles and slip-ups.  It wasn’t easy quitting my job, attempting to learn a foreign language, and preparing for a new and different culture.  Much like the way fear gripped me as I stared down at the water yesterday, as I pondered all of the unknowns that my adventure in Brasil would hold, there were times that it was overwhelming and my faith faltered.  However, as the day approached, I knew there was no turning back.  The ticket was purchased, the plans were made, the orphanage was waiting, there was no other choice but to board that plane and go where God was leading me.  So, two years ago today, after many months of preparing, a lot of support from family and friends, and much prayer, I stepped away from the only world I had known and “took the plunge” into life in Brasil.  And it was AMAZING and during my 6 month experience I knew God was calling me back and so here I am, 2 years later, having jumped in again into life here. 

This time around, I have committed for 2 years and I have no idea whether I’ll ever make this jump again and be back here or where God will lead me next, but this I do know:  For now, He has called me here and I know that these two years will be over before I know it.  So I am trying to make the moments count and cherish the memories.  Life here is so very different than it was when I was here two years ago, so many things have changed and there have been so many challenges over the last 5 months since I have arrived.  However, in the hardships, I have been blessed.  I have seen first-hand the miraculous transformation that has taken place in Kaua’s and Mayon’s lives as they have gone from rebellious, swearing, used to living on the streets, destructive, angry children to happy, healthy, respectful, fun-loving, easy-going kids that bring so much joy to my day.  I can testify time and time again to how God has answered our prayers in ways that we didn’t even think possible.  Yes, the days are long and the work is tiring, but God is good.  I don’t know what the rest of my two years here will hold, but I’m trusting in the One who does and reveling in His goodness to me from the joys of jumping off waterfalls to the wonderful ways He is working in the boys’ lives here. 

Blessed is the man
who makes the LORD his trust,
who does not look to the proud,
to those who turn aside to false gods.
Many, O LORD my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare.
“I desire to do your will, O my God;
your law is within my heart."
Psalm 40:4-5, 8

No comments:

Post a Comment