Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Back Where I Belong :)


Well after 13 months, one knee surgery, and countless problems obtaining my visa, I have finally arrived back in Brasil J  The past two and a half weeks at Nepo have been full of numerous changes and just as many ups and downs.  During my first two days here, several meetings took place with the Board of Directors which resulted in the director and his wife, another couple, and another worker being let go.  Gerson and Marcela are now the acting directors and the rest of our team consists of myself, Mirtes and João (a couple who has worked here for over 30 years), and Valdeci (the farmer who lives here during the week with his two boys).  Not only has our staff gone from 12 down to 6, but the number of boys who are here has also greatly decreased.  Last year when I arrived, there were 37 boys living here.  This year there are 8.  Although there are very few boys, the daily work is still very demanding.  With so many changes in the staff, we had to figure out a whole new schedule and set of responsibilities for each of us.  We also had to make many changes to the living situations.  When I arrived, I was living with Gerson and Marcela again in their guest room.  However, by the second week, I had moved into the guest house with the three youngest boys (who are all brothers).  We broke down part of the wall in-between Gerson’s and Marcela’s house and the guest house and installed a door which now makes it “one” big house.  The older boys who were living in the guest house side have now moved back into the dormitory and I will stay with the three youngest on the one side of the house. 

My primary responsibility is to care for the three youngest, Allison , age 5, Alifer, age 7, and Reginaldo, age 9.  It has been challenging to say the least.  They have many behavioral issues, specifically Allison who is used to throwing temper tantrums and getting whatever he wants.  My day begins with them at 5:30 when we wake up to get ready for school and things don’t really calm down until they go to bed around 9:30.  Life the past few weeks has been difficult for both them and me as we adjust to all of the changes and are trying to settle into a routine. 

Yesterday morning, I wrote the following as part of an email to my intercessors (a support group of close family and friends who daily lift me up in prayer):

The three boys know that when they come home from school, they change their clothes, eat snack, play, and then take showers before dinner.  Well yesterday, Alifer and Allison were absolutely defiant at every step of the routine.  Alifer wouldn't change his clothes, Allison screamed his head off for 10 minutes in the shower because he didn't want to take a shower (this was after he had purposely peeded in the shower instead of the toilet before getting in), Alifer wouldn't put his clothes away after his shower, Allison screamed because he didn't want to go to bed, etc. etc.  And I found myself crying in the bathroom as Allison is screaming because I don't know enough Portuguese to correct him in a way I would like to, to train him, and even if I did, it wouldn't matter because when you try to talk to him and discipline him, he tries to hit you or kick you or run away.  And so as I stand there crying, I am thinking....”I can't do this, I want to go home, two years is such a long time, it's too overwhelming, I just can't do this.”  And this I know, I can't do this, but He can....for apart from Him, I can do nothing (John 15:5).  I also know that His grace is sufficient for me and His power is made perfect in my weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9) and I am trying to cling to these truths.  But I am weary and discouraged and on top of it all, yesterday Gerson told me that the judge will be making a decision on the 7 sibling group soon, but that most likely we will end up with more children (girls, boys, and/or a baby) sometime this week.  And I think, “God, how will this happen, we are barely staying afloat now, how could we possibly do it with more kids?”.....and again, I know to fear not, for when we pass through the waters, He will be with us and when we pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over us (Isaiah 43:2).  So please, pray for me, pray for us.  I know that there is a battle waging...the devil wants nothing more than to discourage me and make me question my calling.  He wants to fill me with these doubts, but I know that in Christ is the victory.  So please pray that I will stand firm and let nothing move me, giving myself fully to this work of the Lord because I know that my labor is not in vain (1 Corinthians 15:57-58).   

 I wrote that just yesterday morning, but thankfully the Lord’s mercies are new every day and thankfully within the past 36 hours, the Lord has been answering the prayers that are being offered on my behalf and is working in my spirit.  The circumstances have not changed, the work is still hard, the boys are still disobedient, but the Lord has changed my heart, my attitude, and my spirit.  And I praise God for this.  I know there are many hard days ahead, but I know that the Lord will continue to give me grace for the moment and He will see me through that which He has called me to.  I also know that “we are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.  Therefore, we do not lose heart.  Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:7-9, 16-18)  I am learning to fix my eyes on Him and trusting that He will continue to fill me with His love to pour out on these boys that so desperately need it. 

Tonight, I want to leave you with the following quotes from Fénelon taken from the Lamplighter’s Classics book, Dialogues of Fénelon.  They have been very convicting and a good reminder for me during these challenging days:

“Never forget how God has dealt and does deal with you continually, how gently and patiently.  Let that be your example; learn from Him how to deal with others.”

“The other duty which you owe to yourself is not to be discouraged, either by experience of your weakness, or by disgust at the agitated life which you lead.  The only point is to be faithful, patient, and peaceful under the crosses of your present condition, which you have not chosen, and which God has appointed according to His purposes.”

And finally, my daily motto:

“My work is not to be well served, but to serve Thee well, to be gentle and patient under all that disturbs me.”

My heart’s desire is to serve the Lord well and I daily pray for gentleness and patience in dealing with my three boys whom I have the privilege of caring for.  Please join with me in prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment